Thursday, April 14, 2011

Cloth Diapering...The What

One of the hardest questions I had when I started cloth diapering was what cloth diapers I actually wanted to use. The more you look into it, the more kinds you find. Did I want prefolds and covers? Pockets? All in ones? (AIO) All in twos(AI2), a hybrid? After reading lots...and lots...I came to the conclusion that the chances were better that the easier the diaper was to use, the more likely I was to use them. So I decided to do a hybrid diaper, the Flip, made by CottonBabies, initially.
Flip: One-Size Diaper Cover
A Flip basically works like this- It is made of waterproof cover that is a one-size (OS), so it has different snap settings for the rise. It should fit babies from birth to potty training. It then has an Stay-Dry insert. You keep the rise snapped to the size you want, take the insert, lay it inside, put diaper on baby, and that's it. When it is dirty, you can just pop it out of the cover (it there is no poo on the cover), and reuse the cover again. I do a quick wash of the cover, but they dry really quickly, so it has never been an issue. I have 4 of these diapers, and they run about $17-18 each with an insert. I have 9 inserts to use with them.

The next diaper I decided to try was a pocket diaper. There are some big differences between pockets and the hybrid I used.
sunbabydiapers
This diaper is called a Sunbaby, and though most pocket diapers tend to be about the same. It has a water proof cover, this particular diaper is OS, with snaps on the rise, and it has a pocket inside to put an insert. You can double these diapers (actually, any diaper) to make it more absorbent for overnight use, or long naps, depending on how heavy your baby wets. A nice thing about Sunbaby diapers is that they come in FUN prints, and are pretty inexpensive. I have 4 of these diapers, and they were about $5 each, so significantly cheaper than the Flips. I also have a Mama's Little Helper pocket and a Kawaii pocket.

I then decided to try my hand at a wrap, which is basically a cover than you can put an insert or prefold in. I planned on trying the prefold (which I have used...twice, and I always go back to inserts in them because they are just...easier.) I bought a couple Thirsties Duo Wraps
Thirsties Duo Wrap - Rose
The main difference between this diaper and my Flips is that it is not OS. I know it has the snaps in the rise, but it has size 1 and 2. We have size 2's, which fit from 18-40lbs. So you can adjust the rise within the weight range. Otherwise, this is a cover that works the same as my Flip covers do. A Thirsties cover will run you about $12 each, and you need to buy an additional prefold or insert to use with them.

The cheapest way to diaper your baby is with covers and prefolds, typically. Primarily because you can buy several covers, lots of prefolds, and just reuse the covers, so you need less. Certain pocket diapers are pretty cheap, and very nicely made. I happen to really like my Sunbaby diapers, which are super cheap, but I have never had them leak or any issues with them.

Once I had been cloth diapering for a month or so, I came across some different websites that I really wish I had known about previously. The first is called Fluff Swappers on facebook. I love this website because you can post what you are looking for, or just see what other mommies are trying to get rid of. I bought lots of my diapers off of there, and have yet to actually buy a used diaper, though you can get those off Fluff Swappers. I usually just glance through to see if there is a good deal that I am interested in, and if not, no biggie. I hate paying full price, so I am slightly disappointed in myself for buying my Flips like I did, but they continue to be my go-to workhorse diaper. They last the longest, and hold up the best.

There are lots of variations on the same thing, and it takes trying them out to see what really fits your baby and lifestyle well. Sunbaby diapers have a leg snap as well as a waist snap, which happens to be good for my little chunky thighed baby. I can choose how it fits her leg, and go tighter on her small waist. That's whats so great about Fluff Swappers. You can get one diaper, try it out, if the fit is weird or won't work for you, resell it, and find one that will before you buy hundreds of dollars only to find that the diaper won't fit your baby right.

I didn't talk about AIO or AI2 because I have 1 AIO, and I have only used it twice. Not my favorite by any means, though I know lots of momma's really like them. I really love my covers and inserts, and am happy using my pockets.

No comments:

Post a Comment