Friday, May 6, 2011

So, I made my first foray into homemade baby food. Which...is surprisingly easy...
Actually, my mom has told me for years that she always made all of our baby food, that is was no big deal, that sort of thing. But the little jars are darn easy, if ridiculously overpriced. And here's why. So babies usually start eating around 6 months of age. And this is good to get them used to eating. But all the eating that they do until they are one is just complimentary eating...meaning that their diet really should be breast milk/formula and then toss in a food for them to try. However, they shouldn't be substituting a nursing time for a feeding time until they are older. Much older than 6 months. So the idea that I need to pay for those little jars of baby food...which are nasty as can be, seems pretty silly. Though, to be honest, I jumped right on board with Bishop.

This time around...I decided to try out the homemade version. I feel like I have become this uber-crunchy momma who uses cloth diapers and only feeds her baby homemade organic food. Don't get me wrong, I love the earth; but I love to save money more. Call me cheap, but I can spend a dollar on sweet potatoes and feed my child for over a week instead of 2 days. Seems like a no-brainer to this thrifty mom. So when considering making homemade baby food, I went to my always there when I need it guide-

The internet. Bet you thought I would say my mom. Not that I think she did it wrong or anything, but I like reading lots of how-to's before I just hop into something. So after some extensive study, I found a pretty awesome baby food making site. So I jumped in.

Well, actually, I went to WalMart first, but THEN I jumped right in. This is what I needed-
Ice cube trays
Ziplock freezer bags
sweet potatoes
tin foil
food processor

And thats it, actually. I washed the potatoes, put some fork holes in them, ran them under the water again, then wrapped them in tin foil. I baked them at 410 for about 45 minutes. Let them cool a tad, unwrapped them, cut them out of their skins like I do an avocado, tossed them in the food processor (which my mother in law bought me when Bishop was born for just this purpose...it's a mini version). I thinned mine down a tad. You can use breast milk, formula, or water. I didn't make mine very thin, knowing that I will probably thin it more when it comes time for Cadence to eat it.

Out of the food processor and into the ice cube trays. Each ice cube portion is about a tablespoon. Anyways, popped them into the freezer after wrapping the trays in saran wrap. Let them freeze nice and hard, popped them out and into a ziplock bag. Labeled the bag (frozen baby food is good for about a month) and tossed it back in the freezer.

And just like that, I got a big Crafty-Crunchy Momma star. You are welcome, Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment