Thursday, June 14, 2012

College v. The Movies- What would Jesus do?

As we were driving today, Bishop and I got into a discussion about college, what college is, who goes to college, when you go to college...that sort of preschool conversation that often goes incredibly wrong in the blink of an eye. In this case, the blink of an eye came upon us when Jesus entered the equation. Like this:

Me "Only big kids who are all done with school go to college"
B "Like you and Daddy?"
Me "That's right, like mommy and daddy"
B "And me? I'm a big kid"
Me "But you have to go to school first, then you can go to college"
B "Oh."
Moment of silent contemplation...always dangerous.
B "I'm not going to college"
Me "Really, why not?"
B "Well, I am going to be in movies, like Jesus"
Me *silence* "Uh..."
B "Jesus went to college?"
Me "Well, no, but"
B "I am not going to college like Jesus didn't. Jesus is in lots of movies, and he dies in them."
Me "Yeah, I guess that's true, but..."
B "I'm not going to college, I'm going to be in movies"

And this is the point that you realize the good old "What would Jesus Do" question is actually not helpful when you are talking to your children about things that Jesus never did. Especially when they believe that Jesus was an awesome movie star who repeatedly died in movies, only to go on the the next movie and die again. He even had movies named after him (Jesus, the movie). Where could a 4 year old go wrong with this reasoning? At the end of the day, yeah, Jesus died for our sins, but this all came AFTER his amazing film career. The books of the Bible that documents (haha, documentaries? Get it?) this part of his life were left out due to them holding the movement back (they didn't really add to the overall story, know what I mean?).

So what does Bishop want to be when he grows up? Jesus.
The one who starred in all those movies and gets to have some sweet action adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment