Sunday, August 26, 2012

Nothing terrifies you like children

You really never realize how scary things are until they happen to your children. For example, I can remember when I broke my arm as a child, and I don't remember anything other than it really hurt and the emergency room took basically my whole life to get the cast on and everything. Also that I now dislike X-rays because the sadist operating the machine kept wanting me to twist my arm so they could get a better picture. Yeah right. They probably just wanted me to put back into place myself with all the twisting. The point is, I am sure my parent's were more scared that I was, something that never occurred to me until I became a parent. Now, my dear oldest child has never had a trip to the ER, though I get the feeling like a broken bone is probably in his near future from all his SuperMan stunts.

Which brings us to today, and our first ever trip to the ER for my daughter. Who is only 20 months old.
Terrifying. I still feel sick to my stomach. I don't know how paramedic's deal with their job, other than just distancing themselves...especially with children.

Ok, here's the story. So we had the church picnic today, and after everyone finished eating, I took Cadence home to grab a change of clothes and refill her sippy. She fell asleep in the car, and I woke her up when we got back to the church. Anyways, we were standing, watching Zach play football, when someone threw a pass to a young man, who ran to catch it, and in doing so, turned, hit Cadence, and literally rocked her world. She flew end over end a couple times, and landed on her back. Of course, I ran over and grabbed her, which, at that point, she was unconscious. If you have ever held an unconscious child, you know how scary this is. She wasn't responding for what seemed like forever, but really was only about 10-15 seconds. She finally started blinking, and didn't want to really wake up. She did start making little crying sounds (silent children are far worse than crying children, take my word for it) but no where near loud or enough, especially for the drama queen she is. When she finally started perking up, we decided to take her to the ER to be checked out. Of course I called my brother for his (mostly) expert advice, and sure enough, she is ok. She does have a mild concussion and will probably have a black eye. As long as she doesn't start throwing up in the next few hours, we should be okay.

But sheesh, that scared a few years off my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment