Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Diaper Brushing

You read that right. I am talking about brushing out a cloth diaper today.
Seems weird, and I would never have thought of doing it before, but I read a blog about brushing fleece diapers a few weeks ago, and it has been in the back of my mind to try it out.
So after selling a couple of diapers yesterday, and wanting them to look nice, I decided to give it a try. For those who don't know tons about cloth diapers, most cloth diapers are lined with fleece or a suede cloth. This is just for fleece diapers, which, after washing several times, become 'pilly' inside, like this-
This is a Perfect Size FuzziBunz. It is one of the first pocket diapers I got, and so it is one of the oldest. The pilling makes the diaper less soft than when it is brand new. I never really thought there was anything I could do to get rid of it until I read that blog. So, I tried a baby brush that I got yesterday at Walmart. It worked, but it took a LONG time to get the diaper to be brushed out. So today, I was washing dishes, when I realized I had a hard bristled dish brush that I have never used. So I grabbed it, and my FuzziBunz diaper, and got to brushing.

This is the brush I used. I believe it's a Clorox brush, but any brush with a stiff bristle will work

And I got to brushing. The brush didn't have anything on it (like water or soap) and I just laid the diaper over my leg, held it taut with one hand, and brushed with the other. Consistently brushing in one direction seemed to work the best. I also pulled the elastic of the leg and the back out so I could get to all of the fleece. Like this-



The brushing took much less time with a stiffer bristle than it did last night.


This is the after shot. MUCH softer, very little pilling. And it took about 5 minutes this time around.

Now I just need to grab my other 20 or so pocket diapers and do the same. Then again...maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment